Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Hills Were Alive... And we managed to survive too.

Note to self... next time I joke "haha - maybe on that hike we'll climb over the alps" - it's less funny when you actually end up hiking up 2 of the Alps.  Don't get me wrong - it was a beautiful hike and I am so glad we conquered it - but my once a week softball games and curling league nights apparently don't keep me in prime hiking form.  And even though we are engaged now - I'm thinking I wasn't allowed to ask Chris to carry me up the Alps.  The description made it sound like a nice litte botanical hike where maybe we'd see a few Edelweiss...  maybe the fine print said "PS it's up the side of a mountain...  maybe you should get one of those hiking sticks or a St. Bernard to ride."

Here is Chris ascending a small part of the hike.


We did stop for awhile at a rock overlooking this gorgeous waterfall...


The view of Zermatt was amazing from there.


Also we found what we assume is a Yeti cave...  If I have my Disney Matterhorn history correct.


After we kept hiking up further, I started to think we were scaling the actual Matterhorn.  We took a break on a bench slightly off the path up the 2nd Mountain (Chris swears we only hiked up 1...  But it felt and looked like 2 to me, so I'm sticking with that.)

We saw this open field that I swear I saw Julie Andrews twirling through, but that might just have been the altitude going to my head.


Luckily Chris let me take several stops to catch my breath and we took lots of pics that can't really do the location justice.  It was stunning and so peaceful.


We made it to the tiny little village at the "end" of the hike.  (By end I mean we had to turn around so our legs didn't fall off.) as we watched the way tougher people (and their hiking sticks) wiz by us and keep going up more Alps.  But before we headed back we refueled with beer and hash browns, which I'm sure is the national food of hikers.


The ascent down was "easier" - I mostly feel like it was a win cause I didn't slip on loose rocks (too badly) as we were descending and tumble all the way down the Alps.

Despite being a challenge it was a wonderful day and so special to do with Chris.  That hike up to the Hollywood Sign is going to feel like it's child's play next time we do it.


Oh - and we only saw a little bit of Edelweiss.












5 comments:

  1. It looks like it was another wonderful day. I can almost see Julie Andrews in the hills myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Good call on proposing yesterday, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may get several hiking sticks for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just what I was thinking, Jill! Except I thought wedding presents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I am not in the wedding mode yet!

    ReplyDelete