Monday, September 8, 2014

A Matterhorn of Majesty

Mondays right?  I mean how awesome could a Monday be?  


When they start out with views like this they can be spectacular. I wasn't sure today was going to be the day. Mostly I had thought about Tuesday but being up there today, with such great weather, I just couldn't wait any longer. 


As Marissa previously mentioned, we took the cable car all the way up as high as you could go. It's a super fun ride and surprisingly quiet for such a mechanical contraption. 


Schwarzsee was great and actually had my favorite views of the Matterhorn. Being up at higher elevation later was fun but it never quite captured the magic of the views from this plateau. 


I began to think here that today might be the day and told Marissa that we should stop back by here on our way down the mountain. For now though onward and upward. 


The Matterhorn Glacier Paradise sits at a stunning and (literally) breath taking 12,739 foot elevation. 


It's hard to argue with views like this. 


Or this. 


It's the highest viewing platform in the Alps. We also had a blast ridding inner tubes down a little snow chute. 


And after nearly freezing our faces off inside the glacier we headed back down to Schwarzsee again. I knew here that it was going to be today. It had to be, I just couldn't wait. 


I had a whole little speech prepared and stuff to say. I said none of what I planned. I was genuinely short of breath from the hike and then got a bit more winded and light headed when I got down on one knee. I was pretty sure Marissa would say yes but there was always a chance she would go "ew" and push me down the mountain. 


It's a tremendous thing proposing to the person you love. Exhilarating, invigorating and a wee bit scary. In my case it was also totally rewarding. The most rewarding thing I've ever done. I think this pic says it the best and is my favorite one from today. 


After all the hoopla up on the mountain, we decided to finish the day off in true Swiss fashion. Fun-due. 


So. Much. Cheese. 


Our first authentic Swiss fondue was really good. We got the recommendation from our hotel and I'm glad we did. 


We're closing down the night in front of the fire, in the cool alpine air, sharing the good news with our friends and families.  This has been the best Monday ever. All because of Marissa, my love. 

I love you. 

4 comments:

  1. I keep reading this and smiling! I'm so glad she didn't push you down the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just fell even more in love with you both. Chris...you really have a way with words. I'm sure the proposal was perfect. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I don't know you really well (yet), but this blog post confirms that you are everything I've always hoped Marissa would find. It's obvious you know what a gem you have in her, and since she didn't push you down the mountain I know she has one in you, too. A hearty mazel tov to you both. Cheers and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad and I are happy for the both of you. It was a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete